Aug 27, 2008

One Week Later...

Today marks one week since Evelyn started crashing and was admitted to the PICU. While the cause remains a mystery (and may forever) I now have a completely different baby!

Yesterday we were moved out of the ICU and into a recovery room. Actually these rooms are more like suites if you ask me. I've never seen such spacious hospital rooms (with showers!). It's been nice considering I've been here every night.

Now that we are in recovery the care of my daughter is falling back on me. Feeding, bathing and changing. It's really nice because it makes me feel like I have a hand in her well being again. She is eating well for someone who hasn't eaten in a week. Unfortunately, they are not letting me nurse her because the doctor decided they want to monitor how much she is eating. So, I am pumping and bottle feeding. Hopefully if she demonstrates she is eating well we will go back to breast feeding in a few days. I may just make that decision on my own :)

Brandon went back to work today.  He will be off tomorrow and then work through the holiday weekend (we hope).  While he is off, I'm going to try and get some work done tomorrow.  I am thankful the Lord is allowing us to keep up a little so things don't get too out of control.

Meanwhile, I am holding Evelyn a lot.  She is going through pretty severe withdrawal from the narcotics she was on over the last week.  Mostly it is showing up in a lot of shaking and jitters.  I think it may get worse before it gets better and the doctor said some residual effects could last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.  Hopefully it will be on the shorter end!  She seems so resilient and thankfully, is not complaining yet.  Just shaking.

We are optimistic that we may be able to go home over the weekend once she finishes her antibiotics, demonstrates she is eating well and gaining weight!  We'll see.  I am content to be able to hold her again, no matter where we are.  Elisa sure would like to have us home though!

14 comments:

Laurel said...

Praying for you all, Grace.
Blessings,
Laurel

Christina said...

Hmm...coming home? I had better go do those dishes in the sink...

Honestly, though, I can't wait for the day when you can settle your little munchkins in for good and start really being a family again!

Kelly said...

Praise the Lord that she is doing better! Praying her shakes go away quickly!

ken said...

We thank God for the progress and pray you don't get comfortable in the suite. In Christ, ken

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear how things are going! Thanks for the update!

Kari said...

Praises on a good report! I will continue to pray for her little body to heal completely esp. from the affects of the meds. Poor thing. I'm praying for you and the entire family too. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to normal soon.

Rachel said...

We're praying for you guys and little Evelyn. Hope you get some good news soon, and that you'll head home sooner than later.

Michelle said...

So glad to hear good news!!

Caleb and Anna said...

Good to hear things are looking up. You are in our prayers. ~Anna

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord for her progress! We hope you all make it home soon. We'll keep you in our prayers. ~Rachel

Jessie said...

Such good news! The Lord is so faithful-we will keep praying for her speedy recovery.

sheboz said...

I am glad things are headed in the right direction! I can only imagine how hard that must be to watch your baby go through that.

ken said...

It was wonderful reading Brandon's Sept 1 post on Evelyn's arrival home! Praise the Lord! Today I saw your Mom's post and observed that Joel was baptized this summer. So much to be thankful for!
Prayerfully, ken

Christina said...

Um, wasn't I promised some pictures today?