Aug 21, 2008

Introducing Baby Evelyn, in the ICU

I think most of you know little Cassondra Evelyn joined our family on the 12th!  I've been so busy with newborn stuff (and work) since then I haven't updated this blog with any cute pictures, even though I've wanted to.  

Of course, my plans are not the Lord's plans.  Most of you probably know by now that we were admitted to the Pediatric ICU on Wednesday.  So here is the first picture of Evelyn on my blog.
 
All those scary cords and tubes consist of: lots of monitors, a central line IV, a breathing tube, oxygen, blood pressure cuff, catheter and some sort of a tap in her belly button.

I wish I could communicate how much better she looks!  We brought her into the ER dehydrated and in shock.  She crashed so fast that by the time she was admitted to the ICU they were truly afraid for her.  Now she is very stable.

Unfortunately, we don't know what has gone wrong.  Over the first 24 hours the doctors have run a battery of blood, urine and spinal fluid tests.  She has also received lots of x rays, a kidney ultrasound and is preparing for her second heart echo.  They believe she is probably septic and her heart is malfunctioning as well, although the cardiologist is hopeful that is a symptom and not a cause.

Between now and Monday, test results should start coming back that will hopefully guide the doctors in a more definitive direction eventually leading us to a prognosis and treatment plan. We anticipate being in the hospital for a while, although hopefully not in the ICU.

Thank you so much for your prayers.  We need them all!

13 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh, Grace. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it is seeing your little baby like this. I am so thankful for the grace of God that is able to keep you through this. His mercies are new every morning!

jenica said...

You, your family and baby Evelyn are heavy on my heart and in my prayers.

Shawna said...

Grace, we are lifting you all up continually. It is our prayer that you would feel His very constant and real presence with you each moment of today. We love you.

shawna
for the blooms

Kelly said...

I can't imagine what it must be like to watch your sweet baby go through all of that. Know that you and your family and especially Evelyn are in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for the doctors and nurses, too, that they might have wisdom as they care for her! Praying for you!

Anne said...

Grace-
We will be praying for you and your sweet little one. Praise the Lord He is with us at all times and holds us safely in His arms.

Praying for His wisdom and strength.

Micah and Anne Daniel (DeGroff)

Rachel said...

Grace - we love you guys and are praying lots. Evelyn has been on our mind a lot in the past few days. I know it must be so hard to see her like that, with all the tubes, but I agree with your assessment. She does look good! She is plump and has good tone...and it looks like her color is good. Something must be working. Is she on antibiotics, then?

We'll keep praying! Keep us posted.

Michelle said...

I have been praying for ya'll...I know this must be a very stressful time but know that you have a lot of people praying for you and little precious Evelyn!

Kari said...

Grace, I'm so sorry that this has happened. We are praying for Evelyn and you all at this scary time. I was just reading a book and this sentence really caught my attention,
"God has entrusted you, as human parents, with His creation of life. You would not have your child if it were not for the will of God."
Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." Pretty amazing to think about.

marti said...

It breaks a grandma's heart to see that. But - I thank the Lord for His kindness shown thus far. He is in control and just as Hannah entrusted her child to the Lord we have entrusted little Evelyn to Him. As her creator and sustainer, He does all things well.

Unknown said...

Alaina and I are praying. Love you guys!

ken said...

Grace & Brandon - may I pass this prayer request on to the google group I manage? We are at our daughter Anna's this weekend. Her three year old spent the early days of her life in ICU. Praying for you and the family. In Christ, ken keane

bandanachick said...

Grace, I love you and am praying for you constantly. I know baby Evelyn is in the Lord's hands and that is the best place for her to be.
I wish I could be there for you, and do something more than just pray. Just know that you are never out of my thoughts and prayers.
I am so thankful you know the Lord and can look to Him to guide you through this situation. May the Lord be glorified!
Much love....
R

Unknown said...

Grace and Brandon,

We're sending lots and lots of prayers your way for Evelyn. Let us know if we can help with any of life's small details.

Cathy and Jim