Sep 16, 2007

Your Opinions Please

OK everyone, Brandon and I are looking at 'investing' in a new camera. While the digital one we have now takes good quality photos, we often loose the perfect shot of our speedy little monkey while waiting for the camera to warm up, picture to snap and flash to warm up. That and, believe it or not, we often find ourselves in need of two, as I use our current one for work a lot.

That being said, we think we've found one that is a good value for the money, the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. We started out looking at Canon's and Nikon's but aren't convinced we need all the bells and whistles. This one seems fast, responsive and user friendly - and it's cheaper. However, as appealing as it is, I don't want that beautiful concept to be the deciding factor.

I know several of you have good cameras. I would like to know what are the features and benefits you appreciate most, what you appreciate least and, if you have any experience with this Sony (Minolta), I'd like to hear that too...and your opinions on if we DON'T need one this nice too. Is it overkill? Would I be happy with a DSC like the Cybershot? Brandon is ready to do this YESTERDAY but I hate to run into something without doing my best due diligence...

Thanks!

5 comments:

April said...

If you want fast to capture the action then you need a DSLR. I would suggest going to www.dpreview.com and doing a side by side comparison of the cameras you have looked at. Also, when you buy, check out www.bhphoto.com, they are a reputable company.

Christina said...

I wll be of no help because I know nothing about cameras. I tried going online and reading some reviews on the camera that you're interested in, but I only understood about every ninth word. Knowing Brandon, he's probably read all the online reviews already.

Brooke said...

I think my friend Jenn has the Sony camera you are considering. I will check for sure and let you know. She loves the camera (whichever one it is). She has a website too, so if it is the same camera I will get you her web address so you can see the quality of pictures it takes.

Rachel said...

Our other camera is the Cybershot, and I don't think that's what you're looking for. Nice for putting in your pocket, but not very fast or clear on moving objects. Our pics of the boys were starting to always turn into just blurs. :) As Elisa starts walking (and then running), you would probably run into the same problem.

Hope you find what you're looking for. Dave did most of the research on our Nikon, so I don't have much to say, except that bhphoto.com did have a cheaper price than anywhere else. My dad always uses that site too.

bandanachick said...

Looks nice...I have thought about getting a Sony DSLR b/c I have a really nice lense already that would fit it. BUT, it seems that everyone I talk to is really sold on Nikon. So, we obviously haven't decided on one yet. The Sony looks really nice though.