Sep 18, 2007

Thinking about it...

This post is an extended comment to Josh's post:

Of course, I agree that, as we are all born sinners, we naturally conform to our sinful lusts. However, I do not agree with the hypothesis that homosexuality is either a learned behavior or an inherited one. In every case, homosexuality is a choice.

Homosexuality is a sexual 'preference', if a depraved one. In its most simplistic essence, any sinner with either a stubborn penchant for self indulgence or a shredded conscience may find themselves practicing homosexuality. Specifically because this is an 'adult' sin, I refuse to believe it is anything other than a choice that they will be held accountable for.

As Christians, we must be very careful about using the term 'born with it' even when we are referring to the sin nature. That is a disease everyone is born with. Even unbelievers, however, know that just because your mother was a prostitute it is no less shameful to follow in her footsteps. Any concession that homosexuality is anything other than a choice is an excuse to continue in sin. Any discussion that it is a learned behavior gives opportunity to lay the blame elsewhere.

All this being said, in response to Christina's comment, Homosexuals are sinners just like everyone else. I have a good friend who is gay. His life is very sad. But God loves him. I should to. I have to treat his lifestyle choices with the same grace and, when I am sometimes given the opportunity, firmness of conviction that I would any sin of any sinner I meet.

I am sure there are other perspectives on this, but this is mine.