Aug 6, 2007

I miss my bed

I hate being TIRED. More to the point, I LOVE sleeping.

I have turned down good jobs because they required me to be there before 8 am. I structured my entire college career and my current employment(s) around not being obligated before 9, meaning I did not have to get out of bed before 8. Brandon has the same cushy schedule. If there is one thing that binds us together, it is that we both love the bed (possibly more than each other).

Sleeping is the most luxurious thing in the world because it means you have time on your hands. My favorite thing is to get back in bed after I wake up. Just because I can.

Only I can't. Elisa wakes up between 5:30 and 6. I am surely not the only one to know that having children makes you TIRED. I knew this would be the case and though I was emotionally prepared for it, physically I was not. Fatigue is making me grumpy, forgetful and overwhelmed. It is making me slightly resentful of my husband, whose schedule is much less drastically altered.

I miss my bed. I miss cuddling with my husband before the alarm clock goes off. I miss sleeping in 'till eleven on the weekend. I miss taking the occasional (ok, daily) nap before I fix dinner.

As tired as I am, I love my daughter. She brings me incredible joy and I wouldn't give her up for anything. She is the most precious, most important thing to me in the world.

That does not, however, change the fact that I miss my bed.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Your post made me smile...I remember going through that too, even though I don't think I require as much sleep as you apparently do. :) But I think we all miss the sleeping in occasionally. Being a parent is definitely a sacrifice, that's for sure. Worth it though.

One thing that's worked for us and others is taking turns sleeping in. If I know that a good long rest is somewhere in the future, I'm a little less obsessed and don't think about it as much.

The other thing that helps is when they are big enough to get their own breakfast and turn on the tv on Saturday morning. :) The time goes by fast...it will be here before you know it!

Brooke said...

I am definitely one that likes my sleep too. I like to go to bed early and sleep late. I could easily sleep 14 hours a night! Not that I do, but I would enjoy it.

I'm trying to soak up as much sleep as I can before I get to join you Mommy's in the "no sleep zone."

Ruth said...

Oh Grace, you put into words exactly what I have been feeling. There are some days I wonder what this motherhood thing is making me become. Grumpy certainly describes me more often than not. I daily reach a deeper level of fatigue than I have ever known before.

It is strange how it makes us resentful of our husbands, but when I look over at Nate sleeping soundly while I am nursing A it just doesn't seem fair. But, life isn't fair is it? I am often reminded of what my sister once told me..."The Lord will only give you what you can handle".

I agree with Rachel's comment about switching days to sleep in/or take a nap if you prefer. Nate has started trying to do that for me when he comes back for the weekends and it has helped a lot.

Come visit soon...!

Kari said...

I feel your pain! This couldn't have been written any better Grace. Its good to know that there are other mom's who feel the same way. I talked with my sis-in-law, Sarah the other day, Gretta has been sleeping through the night for months. I am so jealous. ;)
I was hoping that things would get better as Edward gets older. YOu gals aren't making me feel too great right now.

jenica said...

I won't say a word.

I'll pray for you gals.

Ruth said...

I must have had a really bad night before I commented on this blog! Kari...it really isn't that bad! Sorry to depress you! Austin still doesn't always sleep through the night. At times he does well, and then he will have a long stretch where he wakes up a lot. We are just now starting to make him cry it out. So, hopefully once he gets used to not getting fed at night he will start to sleep better. Every kid is different though...