Aug 14, 2007

Followup

Ok, I feel obliged to followup on my previous post. I think perhaps it wasn't fair the impression I left you with. Truth be told, I am very lazy and I just miss sleeping in. On average, I am loosing 2-3 hours of sleep a night over my pre-baby schedule, but it is just because our bedtime/waketime has changed.

Elisa has been sleeping through the night since 4 months. Well, she doesn't always sleep through, but I stopped getting up with her. I know that a baby crying for 10 minutes at 3 am can seem like 10 hours, but they really will learn to go back to sleep on their own! When we moved into this house, she was waking up 2 or 3 times a night (because of the move I think). After a few weeks I realized that every time I felt bad about it and got up with her I was just reinforcing a routine of nighttime waking. A little resolve was all it took. I have the advantage of having my room very very far from hers, so it isn't too disruptive when it happens. For the most part we have established a good routine.

For those who have problems with this, talk to your husband about it so you don't give in to guilt that he is loosing sleep too as you lie awake and hear your child screaming, because they will be ANGRY when you don't come and get them. Try to start on a Thursday so everyone isn't too tired for work. By Sunday night, your baby will be either very close or all the way to sleeping through the night. I promise. The earlier you break the wakeup habit, the easier it will be. Just do it all at once, don't try and get them to reduce the number of wakeups. I tried that with Elisa and all we did was move the times around she was waking up which was worse for everyone, including her. It made for miserable days. I'm sure we've all read the same books. At 4 months a baby is mature enough to do this.

If you can't handle it, I understand. But I also have limited sympathy if you aren't getting a good nights sleep. That being said, I know you will all hate me and say I don't understand. Perhaps not. Every baby is different. But I didn't make this stuff up either. It works, its worth it and it doesn't make me a mean mommy (although those first few nights feel like it). It's keeping me sane.

I still miss my bed. This morning I got her when she woke up at 6 and took her to bed with me. We 'slept in' (she was nursing/sleeping) until 8:15. It was great! Not quite the same as sleeping in until 11, and probably just another bad habit, but I'll take what I can get these days.

8 comments:

Christina said...

Hmmm....even nine months without a full night of sleep is nothing compared to the 18+ years we'll be paying for the little angels, huh? Give it a few months of all-night sleeping and you'll be telling yourself, "that wasn't so bad; maybe we should have another kid!" God is kind to make our memories so short lived!

Kari said...

More good insight Grace. Thanks for the encouragement. John and I have been trying to figure out what is best. There are so many views and extremes. Its hard to know what is best for your own child and family. Thank goodness, kids are very adaptable.

jenica said...

Yes, I read that book. =)

I got my babies sleeping through the night on and off...

If they got sick or we were a overnight guest(where I couldn't let them cry) their sleep pattern messed up and we'd have to start over.

By the time I weaned them they were consistent all night sleepers. That was around 15 mo.

I really think you allow what you can handle. I could handle one feeding per night (in the older months) and they would then sleep from 8-8 which was SO great.

You do have to decide how you, your husband (ask him what he thinks), and baby can all be in harmony. Haha, sounds so easy!

By the way, I'm all for saneness.=)

Rachel said...

Yes, I like what Jenica said, "You allow what you can handle." We were so much more lax about the getting up at night with Simon than we ever were with Ethan. But then again, we're a little more used to going without sleep since we've been parents for 3 1/2 years. :)

And each kid is different, which makes books like that one (I've read it too :) sometimes difficult to implement, especially if you have a clingy baby. Ethan was sleeping through the night at 10 weeks; Simon was more like 10 months! :) And we are the same people we were then... it just hasn't been as natural for Simon to sleep as heavily, and so we didn't push it.

Eventually they all learn to sleep...that's the good news! And I'm really glad for your sake, Grace, that you've found a way to get the rest that you need, and that's working well for Elisa too!

marti said...

Always full of advice!

I'm looking forward to spending some time with Alissa and her mom when I get back

Grace Powell said...

Mom! It's ELISA! as in LaVey ELISAbeth!

jenica said...

Ha! Ha! Ha!

tanya said...

When we let Kate cry it out, I thought I was being selfish in letting my poor daughter cry just for my benefit. But then Zach came along and we sought the counsel of families who have numerous kids. Any guesses? :) Each suggested letting him cry during the day and eventually he would also sleep through the night without any night crying! Lucky Scott! The reason this works is that Zach was learning the skill of putting himself to sleep and he would eventually do it every time he went to sleep, or awakened from sleep. (somehow I didn't get this the first time around) They encouraged me that we were not only training him in the skill of putting himself to sleep, but also beginning the process of teaching him self-control and trust. The dear child quickly realizes that the world does not end when he is in his crib to nap and both of my kids love their cribs and feel safe there. While this worked well for us, we all have different parenting styles and have to decide before the Lord what is best for the child He intrusted us with. Also, Jenica is so right that many things throw off the schedule and it is never as easy as the books claim. I truly believed that it would be "three hard nights" with Kate and then blissful sleep from then on! Ha, ha!

So congratulations on the much needed sleep and take comfort in the fact that Elisa has learned a skill that will benefit the whole family!