Dec 15, 2006

The Big Day!

Tuesday, December 12th, 2006 I was scheduled to be induced at 6:00 a.m. The doctor put me on bedrest the week before so I had plenty of time to anxiously ponder and pray about the experience. Monday night I was pretty nervous and, like every other night for the past months very uncomfortable. I just prayed a lot and finally got up at about 3:30 and played on the computer for a while before waking Brandon at 4:30 so we could get ready to go.

I was having some gas pains and thinking about my horrible luck to have any additional discomfort on the dreaded day. We showered, got dressed, and finished packing. I made the bed, unloaded the dishwasher and fed the cats. Brandon was saying - "it's time to go" - and I was feeling more and more pressure.

We got to the hospital at 6:00. As I was getting on the elevator, my sister called - which was great. She asked how I was feeling and I told her about the gas. She said - "you are in labor!" I said "no, it's not really painful, just a lot of pressure."

I got to the admitting room and was admitted fairly quickly. They asked me all kinds of questions, including how much I had been dialated at my last appointment - 2cm. I asked for the epidural right away because I was afraid 1. that it would take a long time to get and 2. that it would be like when I had my wisdom teeth out and it took forever to kick in. I was pretty nervous about facing the pain because I am a big wimp!

By about 6:30 the nurse checked my cervix and said "oh, my! you're at 9 plus!" From then on, things kicked in high gear. It was a little overwhelming since I had myself all psyched up for a long day of labor. Isn't the Lord wonderful though? Elisa was born with relative ease (not that I didn't have that "Get this thing out of me!" moment!) at 10:20 a.m. She would have been born sooner if we hadn't had to wait an hour for the doctor to come break my water - which was the apparent cause of all the pressure I had been feeling, not gas.

Now we are home and she is perfect. My mom is helping which is great. I was getting up every 45 minutes when I was pregnant. I am actually getting more rest now! If you want to see pictures of my beautiful baby, check out the gallery on Brandon's blog www.lifeofthepowells.com.

Once again, the Lord has blessed me in every way and answered every prayer above and beyond what I ever imagined. He is so good! Praise Him with me!

5 comments:

April said...

I'm so glad you're getting some rest. Congratulations, again, on your little cutie pie.

Anonymous said...

We are rejoicing with you!

What an awesome gift from the Lord, both the labor and the sweetie.

Ruth said...

Yeah! Sounds like things are going pretty great for you. I am so glad...the Lord is good.

Anonymous said...

Grace, we are so happy for you and the blessed delivery of little Elisa. She is beautiful!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! What a great story to tell! Lucky you!